Tuesday, September 23, 2014

After Grad - It's not as bad you think


I've just come across this article:  Six reasons to stop panicking about what you'll do after university. Great advice for anyone that, like me, is hugely stressing about what to do after graduation. Even though school is only a few weeks in, I can feel the weight of post education looming in the not-too-distant future. I can't tell you how many times I've talked to family or new acquaintances that say "You're in your last year! You must be excited! What are your plans afterwards?", to which I usually mumble a "Yeah sure, I don't really know, let's not talk about it..." I never know how to respond because I honestly have no clue - and the thought of leaving school after 17 of my 21 years taking place in hallways and classrooms gives me the shakes. Although I will be glad to finally finish my degree, it's also heartbreaking to leave everything behind. I'm not one to like change: I have my set routine - school, home, bed, repeat. But at the same time, I think it is time to break out of my comfort shell. School is my safety blanket and I need to break free and see what else the world has to offer. I know, cliché much? But it's true. I think graduation will be the time for me to start fresh and not let my fears drag me down. I tend to worry about EVERYTHING, but I'm hoping the accomplishment of getting through university will help me reign in those doubts. As this article says, we're not alone - everyone has the same uncertainties about life after graduation. It's all about staying calm and taking one step at a time. For now, though, the priority is school - and making sure I get to that graduation date.

No comments:

Post a Comment