Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Med Night

Last night I participated in my first Med Night. As a mentor with the Science Student Success Centre (SSSC), I volunteered to help run the event. Med Night brings in professionals in the field of science (doctors, dentists, medical students, etc.) that talk to students in a speed dating format - each table has one or more professionals and the students then get to talk to them for about 20 minutes, and then switch tables, so the students gets to talk to as many professionals as possible. Unfortunately for me, this event really wasn't relevant to computer science/tech, so I couldn't entirely contribute. But I worked the welcome table so I could at least feel a bit useful. Talking with the other mentors that are looking to go into med school though, it sounded like the event was a success. They learned valuable information on what it is like in their career path. I'm hoping we can run a similar event that relates more to computing. I don't know if as many people would show up (we had around 100 students sign up for med night!) but I think it would be great to have CS students see what it's like to work in their field. I would be there if I were a first year student! We'll have to collect feedback and see if everyone enjoyed themselves and maybe there's a chance for us CS students! 

No comments:

Post a Comment